Stimulus check update: Direct payment worth $500 to be sent to Minneapolis residents in 12 days

NerdWallet-Millennial-Money-Bank-Bonus-Tax
U.S. $100 bills are seen, Thursday, July 14, 2022, in Marple Township, Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum) Matt Slocum/AP

Stimulus check update: Direct payment worth $500 to be sent to Minneapolis residents in 12 days

Video Embed

A guaranteed income program in Minneapolis processes its next payment to recipients in 12 days.

The payment, which will be sent on June 20, is part of the Minneapolis Guaranteed Basic Income Pilot program, which began in June 2022 and is expected to pay recipients monthly cash payments through June 2024. Two hundred households were selected to receive payments from this program, and they can all spend the $500 payments in whatever way suits them best, according to the city’s website.

GAS PRICES TODAY: WHERE TO FIND THE CHEAPEST FUEL ACROSS THE COUNTRY

The project manager for this guaranteed income program told the Washington Examiner that payments for this program are processed on the 20th of every month and all participants receive $500 every month.

To have been eligible for this program, an applicant had to be 18 years old by Jan. 1, 2022, have an annual income at or below 50% of the area median income for Minneapolis, and live in one of several zip codes specified by the program. Additionally, applicants had to have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Qualifying effects of the pandemic include losing a job, having higher health expenses, or losing access to child care.

The program is being evaluated by the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, according to the project manager.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

A majority of the recipients of this program are either black, indigenous, or people of color, at 80.5%. The other recipients, at 19.5%, are either white or non-Hispanic. Additionally, 69% of the program’s recipients are women, and 42.5% of all recipients are between ages 30 and 39.

About a third of households receiving money from this program have just one person in the household.

© 2023 Washington Examiner

Related articles

Share article

Latest articles