Rand Paul staffer to make full recovery after DC stabbing

Rand Paul
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., spoke out against arms sales to Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Bahrain, telling the Senate Thursday, "They don't like us." (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Rand Paul staffer to make full recovery after DC stabbing

Video Embed

The staffer of Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), who was brutally stabbed over the weekend in Washington, D.C., is expected to make a full recovery.

Phillip Todd was stabbed in the head and suffered injuries to his abdomen, brain, skull, and lungs. However, Todd’s parents told ABC News that their son is expected to make a full recovery.


“He was randomly and brutally attacked by a person armed with a knife, who, according to the police report, attempted to kill him. The intervention of our son’s friend helped prevent the wounds from being fatal,” his parents said.

Todd underwent trauma surgery for his wounds and is expected to undergo non-invasive neurosurgery to fix a skull fracture, his parents said. Todd’s uncle, Tim, wrote on Facebook that doctors were worried about “possible seizures” over the next month resulting from the deep knife wound to his head.


Paul made a personal visit to Todd, according to ABC News. The senator released a statement to the Washington Examiner on Monday confirming the attack and expressing concern for his staffer.

“This past weekend, a member of my staff was brutally attacked in broad daylight in Washington, D.C.,” Paul said. “I ask you to join Kelley and me in praying for a speedy and complete recovery, and thanking the first responders, hospital staff, and police for their diligent actions. We are relieved to hear the suspect has been arrested. At this time, we would ask for privacy so everyone can focus on healing and recovery.”


Glynn Neal was arrested after the attack and was reportedly released from prison just one day prior to the stabbing, which occurred on Saturday during the day. Neal was charged with assault with intent to kill.

Neal has previously served five years in prison after being sentenced to 12 years and four months on prostitution charges. He was released from federal prison on good behavior.

© 2023 Washington Examiner

Related articles

Share article

Latest articles