California Highway Patrol to protect Harris after Trump pulls Secret Service protection

.

The California Highway Patrol will take over security for former Vice President Kamala Harris after President Donald Trump revoked her Secret Service protection.

Harris’s Secret Service had been atypically expanded by former President Joe Biden beyond the six months after leaving office, typically allocated to former vice presidents. After Trump ended the protection in a memorandum on Thursday, California officials scrambled to add new security for Harris. Sources told the Los Angeles Times that the CHP has been allotted to cover her.

Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-CA) would have to approve the agreement, but his office remains silent.

“Our office does not comment on security arrangements,” Newsom spokeswoman Izzy Gordon told the outlet when asked about the arrangement. “The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses.”

The stripping of Secret Service protection from Harris could complicate her upcoming book tour for her short-lived presidential campaign memoir, “107 Days.” The tour has 15 stops, including international visits.

TRUMP REVOKES KAMALA HARRIS’S SECRET SERVICE DETAIL AHEAD OF BOOK TOUR

A recent threat assessment from the Secret Service found no credible evidence of a threat to Harris’s safety, according to the Associated Press.

Harris’s loss of Secret Service protection isn’t the first such case, as Trump stripped former National Security Advisor John Bolton and former CIA director Mike Pompeo of their Secret Service protection earlier this year.

Related Content