Rubio hands off one of his four jobs by putting Vought in charge of USAID

.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced Friday that Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought will oversee the wind-down of the U.S. Agency for International Development.

“With a small set of core programs moved over to the State Department, USAID is officially in close out mode,” Rubio said in a social media post. “Russ is now at the helm to oversee the closeout of an agency that long ago went off the rails.”

Rubio joked this week with President Donald Trump about working four jobs within the administration. In addition to being secretary of state and overseeing USAID, Rubio has also been tasked with serving as acting national security adviser and acting archivist.

“Personally, this is the most meaningful Labor Day of my life, as someone who has four jobs,” Rubio said at the Cabinet meeting to laughter.

Vought, a fiscal hawk and longtime USAID critic, will now have three jobs. He was also tapped to serve as acting director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and run the White House Budget Office.

USAID was an early target of Elon Musk and the Trump administration’s Department of Government Efficiency earlier this year. Musk and Trump repeatedly said USAID was engaged in fraud and provided funding to efforts overseas that did not benefit U.S. taxpayers.

MARCO RUBIO’S ROAD TO MAGA

The agency was absorbed into the State Department, and much of its staff has been fired or put on administrative leave. While USAID’s last day of operation was technically July 1, the Trump administration has faced several lawsuits from fired employees and nongovernmental organizations over the cutting of the agency.

USAID provided food assistance and medical care to countries in need. It also invested in education and economic programs to stabilize countries and counter the influence of terrorist organizations.

Related Content