U.S. Attorney for New Jersey Alina Habba is taking an unflinching stance on the case of the shooting death of a Newark police officer.
Habba’s first case since she was sworn into her position last week is centered on Sergeant Joseph Azcona, who was allegedly shot and killed last month by a 14-year-old boy, who also is accused of shooting and wounding a second police officer. Habba filed paperwork on Thursday to try the suspect as an adult.
“This is really the way it should be. If you shoot a police officer, if you shoot anyone, I don’t care what your age is, if you are part of a gang and have a repeated history of crime, you will be tried as an adult,” Habba said on Fox News’s Fox and Friends Thursday.
According to Habba, the suspect, whose name has not been made public due to his age, was also injured and is still hospitalized. Habba expressed her concern that his detention would go under the state, which could lead to a low sentence. In the State of New Jersey, waivers for rights in the criminal justice system aren’t allowed for those under the age of 15.
FORMER COSTA RICAN PRESIDENT OSCAR ARIAS HAS US VISA REVOKED
“Listen, the message I wanted to make is very clear. Number one. I’m for my law enforcement, and I will support them. I will make sure that these individuals get the maximum sentences. Number two, do not do crime in the state of New Jersey,” Habba said.
Habba previously served as President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, most recently accompanying him every day in last year’s trial that ended with a Manhattan jury finding Trump guilty on all 34 felony counts of falsifying business records.