
Top Biden border official Chris Magnus locked out of Twitter account after refusing to resign
Anna Giaritelli
Video Embed
The Biden administration’s top border official has refused the Department of Homeland Security secretary’s order to resign amid the worst border crisis in America’s history, according to a new report.
Chris Magnus, the former chief of police in Tucson, Arizona, and President Joe Biden‘s pick to run the 60,000-person U.S. Customs and Border Protection federal agency, sent a letter Friday to select senior staff that stated DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and Deputy Secretary John Tien had asked him to quit, according to the New York Times.
NYC CLOSES MIGRANT TENT CITY, WILL RESORT TO HOTELS
“I have no plans to resign as C.B.P. commissioner,” read the letter obtained by the newspaper.
Mayorkas told Magnus that he had lost confidence in his ability to perform his job, he wrote. Both Mayorkas and Tien said that if Magnus did not voluntarily leave, he could be the first political appointee in the Biden administration to be fired by the president.
The endangered commissioner said he planned to show up at work on Monday.
But DHS has not wavered in its decision to force him out. Magnus disclosed in the letter that CBP had already locked him out of his official Twitter account as CBP commissioner Friday.
Two senior CBP officials, including one at Washington headquarters, told the Washington Examiner Friday afternoon that the letter Magnus wrote was not sent to rank-and-file agents in Border Patrol, whose employees make up one-third of CBP.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
The Washington official said not all of management at headquarters received the message.
Magnus, 62, is the first gay commissioner of CBP.
CBP and DHS did not respond to requests for comment.