The memo was tweeted out by the news channel’s senior media reporter Oliver Darcy on Wednesday.
“CNN boss Chris Licht informs employees in an all-staff note that layoffs are underway. Licht says those being notified today are largely paid contributors and then tomorrow CNN ‘will notify impacted employees.’ Licht will then provide an update to staff afterward,” Darcy tweeted.
In the memo, Licht says the job cuts will affect a limited number of people, largely paid contributors, as part of a recalibrated reporting strategy.
Comparing the move to a “gut punch,” Licht says those losing their job will be informed through an in-person meeting or via Zoom. Those eligible for an annual bonus will still receive it, according to the memo.
Since becoming CEO of CNN in May, a number of people have either left the company, such as Brian Stelter, whose show Reliable Sources was canceled in August, to Don Lemon, whose prime-time show was canceled. He now hosts the network’s new morning show, which has struggled in the ratings. Jake Tapper‘s prime-time show was also canceled earlier this month due to poor ratings.
Earlier this year, the network also ended its streaming service CNN+ after just a month after it failed to find an audience.
It’s not only CNN making changes, however. Earlier this month, CNBC announced it was letting Shepard Smith go and canceling his show The News with Shepard Smith after two years. MSNBC also canceled Tiffany Cross‘s weekend show after two years. She is now reportedly suing the network over her departure.