President Donald Trump said his administration will “not to rush into a deal” with Iran as the two nations near a peace agreement, emphasizing that the Islamic regime “cannot develop or procure a Nuclear Weapon or Bomb.”
“The negotiations are proceeding in an orderly and constructive manner, and I have informed my representatives not to rush into a deal in that time is on our side. The Blockade will remain in full force and effect until an agreement is reached, certified, and signed,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
Trump’s Sunday morning Truth Social post comes as reports swirl over where the peace deal negotiations to end the war stand as Trump announced Saturday evening that his administration is nearing a deal with the regime and said the agreement had been “largely negotiated.” On Sunday morning, Trump called the Iran Nuclear Deal negotiated by former President Barack Obama “a direct path to Iran developing a Nuclear Weapon” and said that the current White House negotiators are brokering a deal that is “THE EXACT OPPOSITE.”
“Our relationship with Iran is becoming a much more professional and productive one. They must understand, however, that they cannot develop or procure a Nuclear Weapon or Bomb,” Trump continued.
Trump’s statement marks a commitment to elimination of Iran’s nuclear program, an element he has held as one of the most important elements of a deal to end the war, along with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu emphasized that the two world leaders discussed this in a Saturday phone call, which was separate from that of Trump’s on the negotiations with the leaders of other Arab nations.
“President Trump and I agreed that any final agreement with Iran must eliminate the nuclear danger. That means dismantling Iran’s nuclear enrichment sites and removing its enriched nuclear material from its territory. President Trump also reaffirmed Israel’s right to defend itself against threats on every front, including Lebanon,” Netanyahu said in a statement.
The comments on the deal came after some key pro-Israel U.S. lawmakers expressed concern over the deal and if it compeletely addressed Iran’s nuclear program. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), who has praised Trump’s strikes on Iran said “if the result of all that is to be an Iranian regime—still run by Islamists who chant ‘death to America’—now receiving billions of dollars, being able to enrich uranium & develop nuclear weapons, and having effective control over the Strait of Hormuz, then that outcome would be a disastrous mistake.”
But the Trump administration has dispelled these concerns, with U.S. officials telling the New York Times that Iran agreed to give up its enriched uranium in the deal. Secretary of State Marco Rubio also slammed critics on Sunday morning, saying Trump’s commitment to a nuclear-free Iran “shouldn’t be questioned by anybody.”
NETANYAHU ‘RELIEVED’ ISRAEL’S ‘BEST FRIEND’ DONALD TRUMP IS SAFE BUT SAYS LITTLE ABOUT IRAN DEAL
“The idea that somehow this president, given everything he’s already proven he’s willing to do, is going to somehow agree to a deal that ultimately winds up putting Iran in a stronger position when it comes to nuclear ambitions is absurd. That’s just not going to happen,” Rubio said during a Sunday morning press conference.
Regional officials also told the Associated Press on Sunday that the U.S. is working out the details of, but close to reaching, the deal with Iran in which the regime would open up the strait and relinquish its enriched uranium stockpile. According to the New York Times, a U.S. official told the outlet that the U.S. and Iran have agreed in principle to these two terms.
