Secretary of State Marco Rubio denied on Friday that the administration’s ongoing reshuffling of its force posture in Europe is “punitive.”
The U.S. military’s footprint has been a hot topic in Washington and European capitals following President Donald Trump’s recent announcements that the United States would withdraw thousands of troops from Germany and Poland, though he later announced additional U.S. troops would be deployed to the latter.
Rubio met with NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, on Friday.
“Obviously, the United States continues to have global commitments that it needs to meet in terms of our force deployment, and that constantly requires us to reexamine where we put troops,” he said alongside NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte. “This is not a punitive thing. It’s just a — something that’s ongoing, and it was pre-existing, all these recent reports and tensions and so forth.
“So that’s a process that will continue that I think in a very positive and productive way, in collaboration with our Allies, can reach decisions,” he said. “But in the end, like any alliance, it has to be good for everyone who’s involved. It has to be a clear understanding of where the expectations are, and so certainly we’ll try to lay the groundwork for that.”
The president’s ire toward European leaders, whom he has long accused of relying on the United States for military support, has been exacerbated by their hands-off approach toward the Israel-U.S. war in Iran.
“The president’s views — frankly, disappointment — at some of our NATO Allies and their response to our operations in the Middle East, they are well documented,” Rubio said. “That will have to be addressed. That won’t be solved or addressed today.”
Trump has mused publicly about moving troops out of NATO countries that did not support the war and has specifically mentioned Italy and Spain as possible contenders. The Pentagon announced on May 1 it would be withdrawing 5,000 troops from Germany after Chancellor Friedrich Merz told a group of school children in late April that the U.S. is being “humiliated” by the Iranian regime with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
Earlier this month, the Pentagon canceled the deployment of the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, also known as the “Black Jack” brigade, based at Fort Hood, Texas, to Poland. There was no immediate explanation for the decision to hold up the roughly 4,000 service members’ deployments.
On Thursday, the president announced the U.S. “will be sending an additional 5,000 troops to Poland.”
It’s unclear whether the additional troops who will be deployed to Poland will be the ones withdrawing from Germany, the ones who were supposed to go there in the first place, or different troops altogether. It’s unclear what prompted the president’s apparent reversal, though he attributed it to the election of Polish President Karol Nawrocki, even though he’s been president since last August.
On Tuesday, the Pentagon announced it would reduce the total number of Brigade Combat Teams assigned to Europe from four to three, which is where it was in 2021, prior to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
“This is resulting in a temporary delay of the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland, which is a model U.S. ally,” Assistant to the Secretary of War for Public Affairs Sean Parnell said. “The Department will determine the final disposition of these and other U.S. forces in Europe based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies’ own ability to contribute forces toward Europe’s defense.”
FIRST, THE STRAIT OF HORMUZ — WHAT CHOKE POINT COULD BE NEXT?
Lawmakers on both sides in the House Armed Services Committee have expressed frustration with the lack of information they have received about the changing U.S. force posture in Europe. Last week, Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-AL), said, “We’re not happy with what’s being talked about particularly since there’s been no statutory consultation with us.”
He warned that they will “impose a pain” if there “are attempted deviations.”
Rogers and his senate counterpart, Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS), the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, released a joint statement in early May saying they were “very concerned by the decision to withdraw a U.S. brigade from Germany.”
