Former Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan ended his independent campaign for Michigan governor on Thursday ahead of the Aug. 4 primary.
After entering the race in December 2024, Duggan pitched himself as a viable alternative to candidates from the two major parties. But a lot has changed since then, particularly on the international stage.
The former Democrat cited growing anger and polarization over the Iran war and rising gas prices as to why he suspended his campaign. In a letter to his supporters, Duggan explained he didn’t see a chance of winning as an unaffiliated candidate given the Democratic Party’s united outrage.
“For the public in general, our internal polling showed the intense anger over gas prices and Iran was boosting Democrats in every office nationally,” he wrote. “The Chamber poll last week showing we’d fallen 11 points behind the Democratic candidate reflects that reality.”
In the statewide poll, Duggan was in third place behind Democratic Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson and Rep. John James (R-MI). Both face multiple opponents in their respective primaries.
“If we were even in the polls and behind in fundraising, we have a path to winning,” Duggan said in the letter. “If we were behind in the polls and even in fundraising, we have a path. But we’re behind in both. It’s just not right to ask our volunteers, faith leaders, unions, elected officials and donors to continue in a campaign that, in my heart, I no longer feel good about our chances to win.”
“I got into this race to try to change our politics, not to be a spoiler,” he added. “I’m still hopeful our campaign will prove to have a real long-term impact.”
At a press conference related to his campaign announcement, Duggan said he will not endorse a primary candidate. However, he said he may be open to endorsing a candidate in the three months leading up to the general election in November.
“If there are candidates in this state that take up the message of fixing the schools, fixing affordable housing, getting the jobs in the future by working together, I’m going to be open to endorsing them in the fall campaign,” he told reporters. “So I’m going to be watching, along with a whole lot of my supporters, in the hopes that it proves that the campaign made a lasting difference.”
The Michigan Republican Party released a critical statement of the former gubernatorial candidate following the news.
MICHIGAN GOVERNOR HOPEFUL ACCUSES RIVAL OF TRICKING VOTERS WITH CAMPAIGN LOGO IN LAWSUIT
“The exit of Mike Duggan from the governor’s race is no surprise—it’s the inevitable collapse of a poorly disguised charade,” Michigan GOP Chairman and state Sen. Jim Runestad said. “A lifelong Democrat who backed virtually every major Democrat policy and candidate suddenly tried to rebrand as an ‘independent.’ Michigan voters saw right through it. The polls didn’t lie, and neither did his record.”
Benson, on the other hand, struck a more accommodating tone, saying in a statement that she “welcomes Mayor Duggan’s ideas, his supporters, and everyone who believes Michigan’s future is bigger than division.”
Duggan left the Democratic Party to become an independent following the party’s poor performance in the 2024 elections. His third term as Detroit’s mayor ended at the start of this year.
