Police respond to active shooter at San Diego Islamic center

.

San Diego police responded to an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday afternoon, according to the city’s police department.

“I am aware of the active shooter situation at the Islamic Center of San Diego in Clairemont and am continuing to receive updates from law enforcement,” San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said in an X post. “Emergency personnel are on scene and actively working to protect the community and secure the area.”

The San Diego Police Department advised residents to avoid the area near the 7000 block of Eckstrom Avenue, noting the scene is still active but contained to 7050 Eckstrom Ave., the Islamic Center’s address. 

JUDGE CLEARS GUN AND DIARY FOR USE AS EVIDENCE IN LUIGI MANGIONE TRIAL

There was a heavy police and SWAT presence reported outside the center, as well as San Diego Fire-Rescue and medical crews. Nearby schools were evacuated as police set up a perimeter, according to Fox 5 KUSI

Gov. Gavin Newsom’s (D-CA) office said he had been briefed “on an evolving situation in Clairemont community of San Diego, near the Islamic Center.” He added that the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services is working with local law enforcement.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Related Content